Monday, April 18, 2011

A Whole Mess Of Stuff

It has been awhile since I posted and even longer since I had a movie post. And so I am here to do just that. Last weekend I watched "Harry Potter & the Deathly Hollows Part 1" and this weekend I watched, "Rabbit Hole," "Gulliver's Travels," and "The Way Back." So I'm going to have to do a few mini reviews instead of a long review for each. Plus I'm a tad low on energy and am afraid if I try for long in-depth reviews they will come out sounding strange and not thought out. So here goes.

Firstly there was "Harry Potter & the Deathly Hollows Part 1." This is the first part of the seventh installment of the Harry Potter saga. For those out there who have read the books we already know the story. And for those out there simply skating by on watching the movies you at least have an idea of where the story starts. Harry, Hermione, and Ron aren't going back to Hogwarts, they are headed out to search for Voldemort's Horcruxes. While the war between the Order and the Death Eaters continues Harry and his gang camp atop mountains and in the middle of forrests, searching for any clue to finding the only weakness that Voldemort has, his Horcruxes. The film is full of adventure, drama, excitment and sorrow. While the movie is well done, definetly in keeping with the Harry Potter tradition, there are points that prove it's nearing the end of it's reign.

While the movie in itself is a darker part of the Harry Potter saga I thought that the lack of lighting was going a bit overboard. The movie was almost too dark to see which made it hard to watch. That was a disappointment. Now while I never go into watching these movies with any level of true expectations I have watched the last couple of films with more of a feeling that the actors should at the very least know their characters. I know that they are not the greatest actots, nor do I expect them to be. However they have now spent many years as these characters and should have grown into them by now. Rupert Grint, Ron Weasley, and Emma Watson, Hermione Granger have indeed done this. And of course the adults of the production know what they are doing. There is however a weak link and that unfortunately Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter, himself. He can't seem to grow into his role the way that the others have. It's a shame. Other than that and the lighting the movie was pretty good. It ended at the perfect moment to make me want to go and see the second part. So good there.

On to "Rabbit Hole." Starring the nominated Nicole Kidman, and Aaron Eckhart the movie is full of pain. It's all about these two people, a husband and wife who are trying to figure out how to go on with their lives after the death of their two-year-old son. It's eight months after their son's death and they are trying to find some sort of normal routine. They have been going to grief group and suddenly Becca, Nicole Kidman, decides she wants to quit. After that Becca and Howie, Aaron Eckhart, begin to live seperate lives. Becca has just found out that her sister is pregnant. And in the spirit trying to move on she goes to deliver Danny's, her son's, clothes to her sister. On her drive home, from eventually dropping the clothes off at Goodwill, she sees a young man in a school bus. She follows the bus to his stop and from that day on she continues to watch him. All the while Howie is going to group, making new friends, and trying to find a way to move on. Seperate lives going on. 

The movie was well done in many respects. Superbly acted, beautifully written and directed. And though the film was nowhere near as heavy as "Precious" was it was still hard to watch. The pain of losing a child has to be the hardest thing that parents can go through. And that pain was wll played out in the movie. I do recommend this movie but with a disclaimer. You really have to be ready to experience the sadness and pain that is interwoven in the silences as well as every word spoken. But it is indeed a really good movie. 

"Gulliver's Travels," was a fun flick. Starring Jack Black, Amanda Peet, Emily Blunt, Jason Segal and Billy Connolly. All in all a fun cast for a fun movie. Anyone who is familiar with the tale of "Gulliver's Travels" knows pretty much what the story is. Although this is a modern take on it. With iphones and Star Wars refrences the movie was full of odds and ends that made the movie silly and fun. For something that is light and funny and nothing too intense this is the movie. There were a few really nice laughs and some good old fashioned Jack Blackness so it made it worth it. I recommend it.

"The Way Back" based on an incredible true story about seven prisoners escaping from a Siberian prisoner in 1940 and how they survived until they got to India. Not all of them survived but the ones that did left behind an incredible story. Starring Colin Farrell, Jim Sturgess, Ed Harris, and Saoirse Ronan (which is pronounced SEER-shuh RO-nuhn) the movie is full of talent. Though the story itself is a tough one it is also one filled with hope, and one of the things I liked best about it was that they escaped into the winter night, in Siberia, knowing that some would die but knowing that those that did would die free men. 

It is a beautiful story of survival and hope and one that really makes you look at people differently. It made me realize that there really were some truly remarkable people in the world. The movie was a tad long and there were some weird time confusions that happened but it was a good movie. The story was incredible and a little mind blowing, the movie was good, well acted and intruiging. It's something that I would recommend though. 

Anyway there they are, the movies that I watched in the last little while. Good ones, nothing that blew me away but good movies. Which is more then I can say for a lot of the movies in the past little while. It was a nice change to get some good movies rather then a whole bunch of nothing. Also I would like to note "The King's Speech," is out on dvd this week as well. So if you are local come buy the store and pick up a copy it is well worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Rabbit Hole -
    I think it is hard to depict the level of pain that one may feel at such a loss. I am not sure that Nicole Kidman did it for me. Aaron Eckart did (may not have been the same loss level?). I recall the howl that Michelle Pfeiffer lets out when she realizes that she has lost her son. That hit home. I thought (and think) that Nicole Kidman is a fine actress, however, I think the role as not quite there. Is the script the issue here? I don't know enough about the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In many respects I agree. I find that Nicole Kidman always does a good job in whatever role she is in. However with this, and maybe I should have taken the time to say so, I was confused as to why was nominated. Compared to Natalie Portman's performance in "Black Swan" Nicole Kidman did a child's job. Nicole Kidman just didn't cut it, like Michelle Pfeiffer did. Nice sighting there. That is a scene, from the film "Deep End of The Ocean," that still to this day makes me cry, watching Pfeiffer cry out.

    I also agree about Aaron Eckhart, I was shocked he WASN'T nominated! He did do an incredible job. Maybe it was different levels of grief but I also think that it was the fact that he took the role into himself rather then just played the part.

    ReplyDelete