Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Newest of the New

This past weekend I actually sat down and watched a couple of full length feature films. They included a comedy "Just Go With It" and a drama called "Another Year." "True Grit" starring Jeff Bridges also came out this week but I had previously seen it so I skipped it. However there are a couple of reviews to come. 

First I shall start with the comedy. "Just Go With It" starred Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston, with a surprising cameo by Nicole Kidman. Basically it is the story of Adam Sandler's character Danny Maccabee a man who many years ago was hurt by his fiancee on his wedding day. After calling the wedding off he goes to a bar to drink his sorrow away, suddenly a gorgeous woman walks into the bar. And all these men begin hitting on her, saying lewd things and annoying her. She goes to sit next to funny looking Jewish Danny Maccabee who when she inquires about the wedding ring he's wearing stumbles across the perfect pick-up line. He invents a horrible wife earning him sympathy sex. And from that moment on his life changes. He becomes a plastic surgeon gets himself a new nose and begins life as quite the playboy. 

His assistant Katherine, played by Jennifer Anniston, is a single mom with two kids who has become his best friend and the only woman in his life that he is honest with. Things begin to get complicated when he meets a woman he thinks he can actually fall in love with. When she finds his "wedding" ring and gets mad he tells her that he is in the process of a divorce. But she wants to hear it from her, his fictional wife, and so he enlists the help of Katherine. Things go from strange to weird when Katherine lets slip that she has kids and Palmer, played by Brooklyn Decker, wants to meet them. The whole thing culminates in the whole group heading to Hawaii for a bonding vacation. 

The movie had some good highlights, funny moments that had me laughing. Other then the few moments of humor "Just Go With It" written by Allan Loeb and Timothy Dowling and directed by Dennis Dugan was your typical romantic comedy. Cute but nothing special, watch for light romantic movie time. I would give it a 7 out of 10.

The drama that I watched "Another Year" written and directed by Mike Leigh and starring Jim Boradbent, Ruth Sheen and Lesley Manville was a little bit of a let down. I had been seeing previews for what looked to be a very sweet british film all about Tom and Gerri and the people in their lives. Tom and Gerri are this very sweet adoring married couple who enjoys gardening and cooking for friends and family. I was hoping that the movie would be mainly about this really adorable couple and their day to day life, how they stay in love and crazy about each other even after all the years they had been married. I knew that we would meet a variety of characters that would be slightly off that were friends of Tom and Gerri but I figured it would be mainly about them. I was wrong. It was mainly about their very weird friend Mary who has a whole host of problems that she seems unwilling to deal with. 

The movie was sweet in a way, mainly the scenes that were between Tom and Gerri. Other than that I didn't really enjoy it all that much. I went into it aware that it was going to be a slow, quiet movie so it wasn't that I was bored. It was just not all that I hoped it was going to be. The character of Mary really started annoying me and they never really explained why she was the way she was so it wasn't really about her either. It wasn't a bad movie. But it's not anything that I was jumping for joy about. I would probably give it a 5 out of 10. Well acted and some really tender, beautiful moments but it really wasn't that great.  

No comments:

Post a Comment