Sunday, April 15, 2012

"Tempest Rising"

Book Title: Tempest Rising
Author: Nicole Peeler
Version: ebook
ISBN: 9780316076036
Voice: First Person
Publisher: Orbit
First Published: October 27th, 2009
ebook Published: Noverember 1st, 2009
Number of ebook pages:  368


SYNOPSIS: I originally went in search of this book because there was a snippet of it at the end of the last book in a series that I have grown to love, the Jaz Parks series written by Jennifer Rardin you can read a partial review of that series here http://girlinthetinyhat.blogspot.com/2011/06/mixed-bag.html. I totally fell in love with Jaz Parks and the series so I figured that something that was recommended in the same book would be something worth checking out.

It is the story of Jane True a slightly strange and outcast young woman living in Rockabill, Maine with her father. Ever since her boyfriend's death years before, a death that was looked at a little suspiciously one that she was witness to, she has been shunned from what is considered "normal society." She really only has three things in her life, her job at the local bookstore with the lesbian couple owners, her father whom she takes care of, and her nightly swims. Although seeing as it is in the dead of winter and the bit of ocean she swims in happens to be the mouth of a giant whirlpool she keeps the swimming to herself. One night Jane discovers a body floating in the ocean and risks her life to pull it out and place it in such a place that it is discovered. Once the body is discovered however the town is in an uproar and curious glances seem to follow Jane wherever she goes.

In the wake of the investigation a mysterious stranger shows up, a gorgeous unbelieveably sexy stranger named Ryu who seems to be quite taken with Jane. When Ryu takes her out and begins to tell her a little bit about himself, he is a powerful vampire, and who she really is, half selkie, she finds herself swept up in a world of magic and power that has more intrigue and deception than an episode of "The Sopranos." While Ryu introduces her into the world that Jane rightfully belongs to he also introduces her to the world of passion and pleasure.

When the dead man turns out to be a member of the super secret magical society that lives all around Jane, Ryu takes Jane to the head quarters of the magical kingdom to launch an internal investigation. While there Jane is introduced to more vampires, witches, shapeshifters, genies, and many other kinds of creatures that Jane had thought the stuff of legends and fairy tales. And while Jane is taking all the pleasure from Ryu that he has to offer she also finds herself fighting for her life and the truth.

REVIEW "Tempest Rising" by Nicole Peeler wasn't all that bad. It was a rather simple read, some of it was fun, but for the most part it was easy. By that I mean that there wasn't anything surprising or incredible about it. I wasn't shocked at any point nor was I on the edge of my seat. The writing was simple and almost lazy at times often taking the path of least resistance. The mystery of the book was lacking a bit but Nicole Peeler can write a sex scene. And although this book is classified as a paranormal romance, I think, there weren't that many sex scenes but they were well written.

I figured that I should post this review because I have said that I try to read all sorts of books and this is one type that I hadn't reviewed yet. I didn't hate the book it had a pretty solid story, one that has been done before but with a few interesting twists. The book was pretty short and I read it from beginning to end so that has to say something. There were even parts that had me smiling, not laughing out loud but smiling none the less. "Tempest Rising" is the beginning of a new series that Nicole Peeler is working on and it might be a series that I continue on with. I am willing to give it a second try when the next book comes out but I don't know if I care. However I think that this is a book that really is based on each individual reader. So if you are looking for a paranormal kind of romance book that could be the beginning of a new favorite series go out and find a copy. Although it is a world that I didn't find myself lost in and loving, it could be just what you are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment