Thursday, January 9, 2014

Mini Post

This is a mini post due to the lateness of the hour and me being tired. I want to assure those that have been waiting for it the author interview with Josh Conrad will be up next week! Hopefully by Sunday. If you haven't seen the review of his recently published novel "CyberWorld: The Legend of Alaxeria" take a look, you'll want to pick up a copy as soon as you can!

With the new year I decided that I was gonna have a new way of reviewing books. In my last post of 2013 I mentioned that I wanted to start a cyber book club and that is still my intention for 2014. I have so many books that I want to reread that I was unsure as to where to begin. I decided to take inspiration from other books, and picked up a copy of a non-fiction book called 'All Roads Lead to Austen' by a Professor from California named Amy Smith. A true book nerd and lover of Jane Austen she decided to combine two of her favorite things and travel for a year in South America gathering together groups of readers in different countries to discuss Jane Austen. I'm only about a little ways into the book but I'm enjoying it so far. Dr. Smith's goal in her traveling book club is to discover if Austen translates in other countries the way she does here. She is in search of South American Jane-ites.

Dr. Smith states that 'Sense & Sensibility' is usually looked down upon as one of the lesser novels. She says that many of her students find it slow and overly preachy. I was shocked when I read that because that just happens to be one of my all time favorite Austen works. With that in mind and a nagging thought that might be turning into an idea I've decided to start off my cyber book club with reading 'Sense & Sensibility.' I will have a conference number that people can call in so we can discuss about the novel. This will be my first time doing anything like this so forgive me in advance for a little bumpy start. I'll post the number and date of the call in the next post. I'm excited and nervous and hope you all are as well.

As for tonight that is all for now, but look forward to an author interview early next week. Thank you all for the support last year and I look forward to a wonderful year full of books, reading, and great discussion in 2014!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I for one look forward to what the first book might be. I may or may not be available during the next few months. But, I think the idea of a club is great.
    Hey, you should also announce it on Goodreads! - book maniacs for sure.

    ReplyDelete