Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Books of Harper Lee

[Editor's Note: This review contains spoilers. Please do not read on if you have plans to read the novel Go Set a Watchman. I aim only to entertain and give my opinion of things and never to ruin.] 

"For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth." Isaiah 21:6

Most people know the book To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, it has become a staple of English classes around the country. It has been talked about and debated, turned into an award winning film loved and hated for many, many years. Harper Lee has become one of my favorite authors, even though she only ever had the one book. Or so I thought. 

Months ago a snippet of a rumor started going around about Ms. Lee and how there was a second book about to be released. The very thought of this made me giddy. I think that Harper Lee is brilliant in her writing and her character development so the idea that she was once more gracing us with that skill was almost too good to be true. In fact for a long time there was debate about whether it was indeed true or not. When it was confirmed that Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee would be released on July 14, 2015 I knew that this would be one of the rare times I would be buying a hardback new book. To get prepared for this new book, which was maybe sequel and maybe a prequel and also perhaps a first draft, I decided to reread To Kill a Mockingbird once more, I finished it the Monday before Watchman was released. I walked into Barnes and Noble that Tuesday, picked up Go Set a Watchman off the best seller wall and purchased it for 30% off. I started reading it that day.

I found myself slipping easily into the world of an older Scout, who is now Jean Louise. It was almost strange to see Jean Louise as an older woman with fully grown up thoughts and feelings but it was also a nice surprise. We first meet Jean Louise who is on her way home for her yearly visit. When she pulls into the Maycomb Junction station her long time at home boyfriend Hank is waiting for her. On  the drive home Hank and Jean Louise go back and forth about when she is going to marry him and move back home. Right away it's obvious that this is a conversation they have been having for years. When they arrive at the Finch house Jean Louise's father, our beloved Atticus, and her Aunt Alexandra are waiting for them. At first all things seem exactly like home. Alexandra is giving Jean Louise a hard time about her outfit, her life choices and how important it is to stand up to the name of Finch. Atticus, suffering greatly from arthritis, is silently supporting Jean Louise and her wild independence while vocally agreeing with his sister. All seems well in the world of Jean Louise. At least at first.

After a wild first couple of days things begin to take a turn for the darker. When Hank and Atticus leave for a city council meeting Jean Louise decides to see what exactly this city council is. She sneaks in to the old courthouse and witnesses a city council meeting that changes her life. She sees a man named Grady O'Hanlon start preaching about how great segregation is and how important it is to keep the Negroes in their place. Jean Louise can hardly believe her ears she who has grown up in a house of inclusion and love can hardly breathe watching her father and Hank sit there and listen to this man spew his poison. Jean Louise stumbles out of the courthouse lost and disoriented and stumbles to her old house for a little bit of comfort. Lost in her thoughts of betrayal she takes a trip down memory lane trying to find where the lies began. And trying to discover if her whole childhood had been a lie. 

What follows is a dark journey through discovery and the peeling back of layers of what life in the south is really like. Through memories of her childhood and the things she is living through now Jean Louise finds herself questioning everything that she once took for granted. It's a harrowing journey that ultimately ends up with Jean Louise finally confronting Atticus and asking him, was it all a lie? 

To Kill a Mockingbird is an iconic book, and an iconic movie. The young vibrant view that Scout, as our narrator, brings to the world of the south. In the book Atticus is her hero and quickly becomes ours. It's a beautiful book that gives us faith and makes us feel good about all things. Go Set a Watchman is much darker and much more about the truth of things. For me this darkness and the new view of Atticus didn't ruin the memory of the Atticus I grew up knowing. This new book very much felt to me like a first draft or a first attempt at a book. There were a lot of similarities between the two books including some lines that were almost exactly the same. But there were a lot of discrepancies as well, Hank for instance is supposed to have been a long time childhood friend and he was never seen in the 'first' book. 

I think that Harper Lee is brilliant in her writing, that's just what it is. She has a narrative voice that is astounding and a way to develop her characters that is unsurpassed. Reading Go Set a Watchman gave me a chance to experience that once more. For this I am very grateful but it was not a knock-your-socks off type of book. I have seen a couple of very scathing reviews about this book and I wholeheartedly disagree with what they have said. I don't look at this book as a sequel or prequel or anything like that so nothing from To Kill a Mockingbird has been ruined for me. For me reading Go Set a Watchman  is like seeing into the mind of Harper Lee and watching her work out who she wants her characters to be and what she wants to say. It is an interesting look at the way the minds of white people in the deep south thought during the sixties. All in all it was an interesting study in human nature. 

I enjoyed the book and thought it was well executed and I give it a strong three out of five tips of my hat. It is worth reading as a study of the way Ms. Harper Lee thinks and plots and plans. If you can separate the books as two different stories then I think this could be a good recommendation for you. But if you are worried that this could taint your memory of a great book then I heartily say stay away. As a reader I enjoy looking at the different sides of things so for me this was worth the read. And I sincerely hope that the press around Go Set a Watchman will bring people around to the brilliance of Harper Lee. I know that for me this new book has just reminded me of how amazing she really is. An intense read and one that may shock you in parts but something that is worth it if you can see it objectively. I say thank you Harper Lee for a trip into your mind once more. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about viewing it as a separate book from 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. It was easier to read with that in mind, instead of constantly thinking "That's not right...."

    I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. I've heard too many harsh words based on very little about the actual story. It's refreshing to not see something so biased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! Glad that you enjoyed the review and more importantly the book!

      Delete