Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"Despicable Me" and "Salt"

A few weeks ago "Despicable Me" came out on dvd. One of the best parts about working at a video store is being able to see new movies for free before they are made available to the public. And so the weekend we got it I took it home. I had mixed feelings about it, I was excited because the previews looked funny and I had heard it was fun. But I had been tricked by hype before so I was a little wary. I watched it and loved it. I mean I LOVED it. It was fun and silly and funny. Steve Carell was hilarious. And the little girls in it were adorable. Adorable little cartoon funny girls. It was just such a fun movie.

Steve Carell plays this villian who is being out villianed by someone. His villian rival has stolen the Great Pyramid and now he is under pressure to do something equally as evil. He has these minions that are cute and yellow and speak some sort of other language that kind of sounds like a certain kind of spanish maybe. Anyway he hatches this plan to steal the moon. But he needs a loan from the bank of evil to fund it. However because his evilness is always a little flat, nothing really pans out for him, the bank says that he has to get them this shrink ray in order to get his loan. And so he does. But then his villian rival steals it from him. In order to get it back he has to come up with a plan to get into his rival's lair. The only way he can is to adopt three little girls. Fun times ensue. =D

This is a great film for families. It has a little bit of everything for everyone. There is humor and sweetness, jokes and just all around greatness. I recommend this film for people who enjoy funm sweet movies. "Despicable Me" gets a 10 out of 10. I loved it.

The much talked about action flick "Salt" came out. I took it home last weekend to see what all the hype was about. I know that not many people like her but I really like Angelina Jolie. I ended up feeling underwhelmed. It was really a pretty typical action film. Sure there was a twist here and there but really it was just her running around shooting people. I was a bit disappointed.

The story followed this CIA agent, Evelyn Salt (played by Ms. Jolie) who on the day of her anniversary has to interview a Russian defector. This man says that a Russian agent in deep cover in the CIA is going to kill the Russian president. He calims that the name of the agent is Evelyn Salt. This begins a whorl-wind adventure of non-stop action. Which is really all it is. An adventure of non-stop action. I even figured out all the twists before the end of the movie. It was a big disappointed in the whole thing. It just kind of fell flat.

I think that for lovers of action films though this might me a good title to catch. If what you want is just a veg-out mindless action movie with a twist or two in it this is the movie for you!

1 comment:

  1. I also really loved "Despicable Me." Brian and I saw it courtesy of his sister giving us movie tickets, at the very tail-end of it playing in theaters. Is it predictable? Sure--to a pretty good extent. No huge plot surprises. But, it was still *very* funny, and had some really great animation/character design. The voice acting was spot-on, and in the same vein as Dr. Horrible, it was fun following the villains and rooting on evil.

    I doubt I'll see Salt. I fall into the camp of not really liking Jolie as a "sex symbol," though her acting in early years was often worth watching (I mean, who can forget her performance of being crazy-as-hell in "Girl, Interupted"?). But, lately, movies with her in it seem to be directed just to give a camera an excuse to follow her around, and since I'm not that interested in following her around...well. I think it'll appeal to her fans, but I doubt it will be making any new ones.

    ReplyDelete