Monday, January 23, 2012

Speaking the Truth

Many months ago, not even sure how long ago now, a friend and I went to see "The Help" in theaters. Both of us really enjoyed the film and after when we were standing outside talking about it we both commented that we wanted to read the book. I was slightly reluctant mainly because I had so many other books to read. And the months passed. When I moved to New York I, miraculously, got a job at Barnes & Noble. And because of my love of books I was given an unusual opportunity. They offered me a job in the 'new release' department rather then just another cashier for the holiday season. Basically what I do is deal with new books and the best seller walls. Anyway I am around the actual books a lot and I am in contact with customers and hear what they request. To make a long story short I started to notice how there were certain titles that were more popular then others. "The Help" was definitely one of the more popular titles. I realized that in order to do my job to the best of my ability I would have to start reading some of the more popular titles. When I bought my Nook tablet (don't worry I still buy physical books obsessively) the first book I bought on it was "The Help." Due to a few different circumstances I didn't read it right away but I just recently finished it. I would like to review it now.

"The Help," by Kathryn Stockett published by Penguin Group, is told through the eyes of three very different women all living in Mississippi in the 1960's. Skeeter Phelan, a young, ambitious white woman coming home to Mississippi after graduating college, Abileen, an older black maid who raises the white children of white women trying to overcome the pain she feels from losing her own child and Minny, a feisty, back-talking black maid who is known for her cooking and back talk. 

It tells the story of what life was really like for black maids in Mississippi in the 1960's. How because of the small minded thinking of one woman who for some reason has power over everyone in her 'set' all the houses that have maids have seperate bathrooms for them. The way people see "negro/as" as unclean and slightly barbaric. How blacks have seperate movie theaters and drinking fountains then whites. In each section, for each chapter we see a little bit about what each of these women go through and how they deal with the challenges they face. Skeeter finds herself trying to deal with a sick mother, friends who are stuck in the past, a changing view of the way the world works, and a love life that just can't seem to get itself off the ground. Abileen is dealing with trying to make sure the little girl she is basically rasing grows up feeling loved and that she is a good, kind girl despite the way her mother treats her, helping her friend get another job despite the lies that have been spread about her, and trying desperately to get over the death of her son. Minny, fast talking, sassy Minny, is trying to find a new job despite the lies her former boss's daughter spread about her, five kids, and a drunk husband who has a tendancy to beat her, on top of all that when she finally does get a job she has to deal with her new boss a woman who is an outcast and what appears to be a little strange.

Their stories intertwine and they find themselves searching for a way to tell the truth. As Skeeter offers to write their stories and be the voice they so desperately need more and more maids start coming forward. They all have tales to tell some are filled with pain and humiliation, some are filled with unbelievable kindnesses, but all of them are the truth. Through it all Abileen, Minny and Skeeter are the pillars that the others lean against and without realizing it these three different women find themselves learning to trust and even care for each other.

The book is well written and the characters are genuine and most are loveable, and the others you end up loving to hate. It was tough at times for me to read, I always seem to have trouble reading books that have small minded people in them. Or books about parents who just don't care about their kids. I guess what makes it difficult for me is that there really were towns like that in the world, still are, that there are people that are so small minded and ignorant that they really believe that blacks are barbaric or homosexuals need saving. I just get so angry and upset so this was hard for me to read at time. But it was worth pushing through that. I really enjoyed reading the book and I feel that this deserves the hype it gets and the obvious popularity. I recommend "The Help" highly and with no hesitation, simply a heads up that it is a bit of a tough read.

No comments:

Post a Comment