Friday, January 27, 2012

To Eyre is Human

I was torn about the book I wanted to review tonight, at first I thought that since I haven't reviewed very many non-fiction books I would do another non-fiction tonight. But then I started talking to one of my roommates about classic novels. She just got a Nook Simple Touch as a gift from her parents and she was excited because this meant that she could start reading some of the classics that she has always wanted to read. Some Dickens, Austen and "Jane Eyre." That is when my inspiration hit and I decided to write about "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte and, the version I read, published by Barnes & Noble Classics. 

The story is simple at first glance, a young orphan girl has to go live with a hateful aunt and then from there is transferred to a horrible boarding school and finally becomes a governess. Through all of her trials she holds on to her integrity and beautiful spirit. In her new position as governess she finds herself falling in love with her surly but kind employer Mr. Rochester. As time goes on Mr. Rochester finds new ways to interact with Jane and before he knows it he finds himself in love with her as well. But a secret that shrouds the house and everyone in it, once discovered, forces Jane to decide between the man she loves and a life of poverty and solitude. 

Beneath the 'simple' story though is something more. Something richer and more meaningful that made this novel one of my favorite reads. Jane's character is so ahead of the time that she was written full of an independence that is inspiring. Her ability to understand human nature is amazing and watching the way she cares for people, despite the way she was treated as she was growing up, is inspiring. Jane Eyre has become one of my all time favorite literary characters. This is a story that is so rich and complex and beautiful it is worth reading again and again. 

I highly recommend "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte! It's a beautifully written moving, truly wonderful story that should be read by all. I don't think that I have any complaints about the book, it's one of those rare books that I give all my support to. It's a beautiful story and and beautiful book, and I love it. It's a book that is a great introduction to reading classics because it has a little bit of everything in it. I love it and I think that it's a book that many will love. So go out and find a copy and get swept away into the wonderful world of Jane Eyre.       

No comments:

Post a Comment