Saturday, February 4, 2012

Learning A Lesson

[Edit: I was reminded that it might be a good idea to add the publisher, date of publication and maybe even ISBN into my posts. I obviously hadn't thought it through because that is such an obvious thing to do when recommending books. Anyway here that info is for this book. I would have had it up sooner but my internet has been doing strange things so here it is now. A quick note I bought this book used online and it looks like it is an old library book. Don't be discouraged if you can't find this exact one. First edition was published by St. Martin's Press, New York in August 1992. ISBN: 9780312076382. Hope this helps a little in finding this great book.]

A long time ago when I was still in high school, I think, I watched a movie called "Dangerous Minds" starring Michelle Pfeifer about a woman who after a nasty divorce finds herself taking over an english class in California. Thinking that she can make a difference she instead finds a class full of stubborn inner-city kids with more chance of being arrested then graduating high school. The movie was based on a book about the real life of that teacher, LouAnne Johnson. The book was called "My Posse Don't Do Homework-A Funny and Inspiring Story of Teaching." I became determinded to find and read this book. It took me years to find a copy and to tell the truth I don't remember where I eventually found it but I did find it online. A used copy from a library that closed and was selling off it's stock somewhere or something like that. Anyway I got it eventually and I started reading it the day it arrived in my mailbox.

The stories that LouAnne presents are what she calls "snapshots" moments that she felt truly represented the kids she taught and who shaped the kind of teacher she became. LouAnne Johnson started teaching as an intern two differnt English classes and then moved on to teaching the Academy students. The Academy program was a 'school within a school' that the government helped to fund. What it offered was a 25 student limit of class sizes and extra resources for teachers so that they were able to provide extra help to the students that needed it. What LouAnne found was that not only did the program help get students from freshman year to graduation it also gave them a sense of self and one of confidence.

LouAnne met many students through her teaching years some of which she portrays in her book. She speaks of the students that pushed and pushed until she pushed back just enough to make them see there were things worth fighting for. One of the first stories she tells is that of Raul (the student's name was changed for privacy sake) and the loan she gave him of $100. He bought a stolen coat on the streets and the money he owed was due, and on the streets when you didn't pay the money you owed you paid in other ways. Ms. J, as they called her, loaned him the money he needed with one condition that he graduate from high school and pay her back on his graduation day. Although her crop of kids were usually resistant and stubborn she found ways of teaching them all about choice. How it was their choice to get an education or to take to the streets. They learned to view her as more than just a teacher, they ended up seeing her as a hero.

This book is moving, inspiring, and so beautiful at times it made me cry. The stories that LouAnne Johnson shares are sometimes funny and sweet, sometimes dark and sad and through it all she stays true to the things she believes in. This is a worthy read. "My Posse Don't Do Homework" is an inspiring tale one that helped me see hope even through the dark. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in non-fiction true stories about hope and kindness. The whole book is a look into a world that isn't normally talked about in everyday life, unless you live it, and it makes it worth the trip. LouAnne Johnson has a voice and a heart that are rare and this book lets you see that in abundance. Take a trip down her memory lane by picking up the book and reading it for yourself. It's anything but a waste of time, I promise.   

2 comments:

  1. I missed this movie--but I would like to see it and to read the book too! I suggest (for books out of print or hard to find like this one...) that you post the publishing information on your blog--publisher, date of publication, hardcover or paperback, maybe even the ISBN--so that we could find the book somewhere also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I get so caught up in the review that I forget the details. I apologize. I really appreciate the heads up and I will dig the book out of my piles and find the ISBN and publisher. I will post it as an edit so keep an eye out for it. And I will try to remember to do that in the future for all books. Thanks for reading and the reminder!

      Delete