Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sometimes It's A Dud

Just to prove that I don't ALWAYS love the books that I read I want to talk about a recently read book that I really didn't like. I of course had heard of the Janet Evanovitch novels along with the Sue Grafton novels. I tried and liked Sue Grafton's "A is for Alibi." I decided that I was going to try Janet Evanovitch's "One for the Money" to see which I enjoyed more and which series I might want to continue with. I bought "One for the Money" on my NOOK so it was in ebook format, ASIN
B000FC0SJ6. The novel was first published in 1994 by St. Martin's Press.
 
The story follows Stephanie Plum a recently unemployed linergie sales rep which leads to money problems. Her weekly dinner with her parents and grandmother although always stressful (her grandmother is slightly crazy and her mom spends the whole dinner telling Stephanie the benefits of finding a husband) actually gives her a lead on a job. Her cousin Vinnie who owns a bail bonding company reluctantly hires her but only after she threatens him. He is determined to give her the easiest of bail jumpers, to keep her off his back and so that she doesn't get hurt. Stephanie however has a whole different idea in mind. She is tipped off about one bail jumper that could potentially lead to her recieving ten grand easy. The jumper is ex-vice cop Joe Morrelli, suspected of murder, and long time obsession of Stephanie's.
 
Stephanie has no experience, no tools, and no idea where she is going to begin but she dives in head first. Through every mishap and bump and bruise Stephanie keeps her head up and keeps on trying. Although there is certainly some suspense and witt that adds to the story the book wasn't all that great. It wasn't all that well written, the suspense wasn't enough to give me that "I HAVE TO READ THIS" feeling. I originally thought that Stephanie might be a fun character to follow but after the first intial charm she just got on my nerves. And instead of being witty and charming it turned out that Stephanie was just annoying and stupid. The writing was simple and the story unbelieveable to the point of ridiculousness.
 
There really wasn't much that I enjoyed about the book other than it was a quick read with a tiny bit of witt here and there. I don't recommend the book at all. It's not even a good fluff read or something to read on vacation. I just thought the book was a bad book. I apparently seem to be in the minority on that one however. See I don't ALWAYS love the books I read.     

No comments:

Post a Comment