Monday, March 5, 2012

A Touch of the Fantastical

First I just want to apologize that it has taken me so long to update. I have been extremely busy these last couple weeks plus my internet wasn't working properly. However I am up and running again, at least for now, and I have a little more breathing room. Hopefully this means that I will get back on track with posting more regular reviews.

Ever since I was a little kid the movie "The Last Unicorn" was always a favorite of mine. I watched it almost as much as I did "Willow" which is to say practically every day. I haven't seen it in a few years but I still vividly remember the joy I used to get from watching it. One would assume that because of my love for it I would have found out all I could about it. But that would be incorrect, I didn't know anything beyond my love for the movie. So imagine my complete fascination and excitment when I accidentally ran across the book in Barnes & Noble while browsing. I bought it on the spot and prompetly proceeded to let it sit on my shelf for a few weeks. After reading a pretty dark and slightly convoluted non-fiction book on WWII I decided I needed something different and (while browsing my shelves) I spotted "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle. I thought to myself 'this is the perfect book to read now.' The version I read is a reprint of the original which was published in 1968 by Viking Press. The version I read was published as a 40th anniversary edition in 2008 with the ISBN 9780451459524.

If there are any people out there that do not know the story it is about this beautiful Unicorn living in perfect peace and harmony in her woods. One day she spots two humans riding along speaking about seeing unicorns. One of them is convinced that if they were to wait long enough they would be able to see one and the other is equally convinced that there are no more unicorns left in the world that they were lost many hundreds of years ago. The Unicorn for whom time has no meaning is startled that these humans believe unicorns no longer existed. She becomes determined to find the rest of her kind and sets off on what she believes to be a simple quest. While sleeping one night the horrible Mommy Fortuna finds her and captures her for her Midnight Carnival. Mommy Fotuna's carnival is filled with rather ordinary creatures who with the small magic of Mommy Fortuna look extraordinary.

While trapped in her iron barred cage the Unicorn meets the sometimes magician Schmendrick who promises her that he can get her out of her prison. As long as they escape before the real harpy that occupies the cage next to her. Through some lucky circumstances and no help from Schmendrick the two escape and go on their way in search of the rest of the unicorns. Along the way they meet up with Molly Grue the cook and companion for a bunch of misguided Robin Hood wannabes living in the forrest. When Molly inserts herself into their group Schmendrick at first is very upset but as time goes on they begin to find a grudging tolerance of one another. The three enter the town of Hagsgate hoping to find some answers there as to what has happened to the unicorns. The Unicorn had been told to look for the Red Bull and finding it would find the answers she sought. Schmendrick begins asking questions about the Red Bull and the trio are directed to the castle of King Haggard. While making their way they run into the Red Bull who, though blind, begins to chase after the Unicorn. Schmendrick in an act of desperation and magic turns the Unicorn into a human woman to save her life. What follows is an long adventure as a human who finds love and learns of human emotion while slowly beginning to lose who she really is.

The story is rich and beautiful full of hope and loss, love and sorrow. It is a truly wonderful fantasy story that Peter S. Beagle has brought to life. There is poetry and music in every line of the book and I didn't want it to end. This is a book that everyone should read because everyone will be able to appreciate it. It is one of the most enticing books I have ever read from the very first page to the last paragraph. There is magic in this book, magic that is apparent as soon as the book is opened, a magic that once gained will never leave you. I highly recommend going out and finding a copy of "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle and gaining a little of that magic for yourself. 

2 comments:

  1. I know of a lot of fantasy authors who actually list "The Last Unicorn" as their favorite book, and not the stereotypical LotR triology. In some ways, what Peter S Beagle did is even more impressive than Tolkien in part because he didn't take 3 books to tell the story, and also because he had a character who at a deep level is NOT human. And he convinces us of that--this is a lot harder than it sounds, and his ability to show this world and make us believe in the people who inhabit it are really first-rate. I read the story ages ago now, and I own the movie on DVD. I was really shocked at how well the movie followed not only the plot, but the spirit of the book, until I discovered that Beagle did the screenplay, and never budged from the helm of the film. Sometimes that's annoying, but other times, it's why a film turns out so damn good. He's not just a good writer--he's a good storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved when I found out that he wrote the screenplay! It made me feel even better about the film. I really need to see it again now that I've read the book. I think that he's an incredible storyteller and that translated in both the book and the movie. Yay for Peter S. Beagle!!!

      Delete