Monday, July 2, 2012

"Between the Lines"-Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer

Book Title: Between the Lines
Authors: Jodi Picoult, Samantha van Leer
Version: Hardback
ISBN: 9781451635751
Published: June 26th, 2012
Publisher: Emily Bestler/Atria/Simon Pulse
Number of Pages: 358
Genre: Teen Fantasy


SYNOPSIS: Have you ever wondered what happens when you close the covers of your favorite book? What if it wasn't as simple as when you read the words 'the end' everything really did stop? Imagine that there was a whole cast of characters that every time the pages of their story were opened went to work and put on a play that as a Reader we found fascinating and full of adventure. Wishing we could switch places with the princess trapped in a tower or the prince that saved her. Imagine that they thought we had the life of adventure and would do anything to switch places with us.

Meet Oliver a prince who was born never knowing his father and without courage. When he grows up and is told about a princess in distress he knows that despite never learning how to fight Oliver decides to go in search of Princess Seraphima to save her from the evil Rapscullio. And so with his trusty steed Socks and his sidekick Frump the dog he sets off on the adventure of his lifetime. This of course is only what happens when the fairy tale Between the Lines is being read by a Reader. When the tale is closed however Prince Oliver is more likely to be found playing chess on the beach and trusty Frump, who can actually talk, is usually found mooning over Princess Seraphima and ordering everyone around. Evil Rapscullio is more likely to be found catching butterflies. But as soon as the pages open every one knows their places. 

Although Oliver puts up a good front for his fellow actors he is really quite miserable doing the same thing again and again. And though actually kissing Seraphima is pleasant he finds her rather annoying. For years he has tried, with no success, to contact a Reader on the outside. All he wants is to experience what life is like in the real world. He is sure that the adventures awaiting him there have to be better than playing the same part over and over again.

Meet Delilah a teenage girl perpetually on the outside in high school. After a small accident involving a baseball bat and the most popular girl in school Delilah has sort of become the cautionary tale. She seems to find her place amoungst books and stories and when she finds Between the Lines stuffed between some books in the school library she is intrigued. Taking it home she reads it cover to cover and despite the fact that it is a children's story she falls in love with it. Delilah reads it over and over again falling in love with the story and mostly in love with Prince Oliver. When Delilah notices an image of a chess board on the beach that hadn't been there before Oliver thinks that she just might be the one to save him.

Oliver attempts to make contact and when Delilah responds Oliver knows that he has found his ally. Together the two of them embark on an adventure to try and get Oliver out of his world and into Delilah's. In the process they find themselves falling in love and forming a connection that Delilah had only ever read about. This connection that both of them feel make it even more important to get Oliver out of the book and into real life. A challenge that seems impossible but one that they are determined to overcome together.

REVIEW: As I have stated a couple of times on here I love all things Jodi Picoult. So when I found out that she was coming out with a teen book co-written by her daughter I was intrigued. As soon as it came out I went to work and borrowed it. I read it in a few days and I actually really, really enjoyed it. The idea that a book comes to life after the pages are closed is something that makes me smile. And because I love books so much I am naturally inclined to read and love books about books. So from the beginning I was excited and couldn't wait to see what happened next.

Going into it knowing that not only did Samantha van Leer co-write the book but also came up with the idea for the book intrigued me even more. I found that the story was well imagined and well thought out. It was an interesting story that I haven't come across before, and with all I have read that is saying something. I loved the story because of the newness of it and of course it was all about the real lives of the characters in books. 

I get nervous when there are two or more writers because I worry that the writing won't be cohesive. But I guess being related and working side by side must have helped because the writing was excellent all around. Each chapter flowed easily into the next and the chapters that were part of the fairy tale within the book were perfectly put together. I loved that they added those chapters in because it gave us, as readers a chance to see Oliver playing his role, we read what Delilah was reading and found out just why she loved the tale so much. I thought that the writing, all of it, was brilliantly done, extrememly seamless and well put together.

I found that the more I read the more I wanted to read. I couldn't put it down once I picked it up. I mark that as a very successful read. This is a book that I would recommend to everyone. I think that it will appeal a great deal to teens but also to anyone who really loves books. I also think that this will be a great book to give someone who is on the fence about reading. I feel that this is a book that is fun and interesting enough to tip those unsure readers into the 'yes I love to read' column. It's a fabulous book that you just have to go pick up today. Believe me it is a fun enough ride that it will be worth it.

YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT:

Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink


1 comment:

  1. Hah.. I knew it! I used to try to peel back the endpapers on the covers of my books because I just KNEW the characters were in there somewhere, they HAD to be! Where else would they come from?

    ReplyDelete