Saturday, September 7, 2013

My One True Love and Why I Love Them Part 1

I love books. I feel that, that is pretty self evident but I also felt that it needed saying. I love books of all shapes, sizes, material, color. I love them all as a whole. I don't always love all the individual stories that I read but I certainly respect the fact that the author made an effort (in most cases anyway.) There is a quote by Erasmus that says "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." In a lot of ways this explains me to a 'T' because there was a time when this was almost literally true. Books feed and protect me in ways that food, and clothes just can't do. In short I love books.

I think that with a dad like mine I always knew the importance of books just like with a mother like mine I've always known the importance of art. But books never spoke to me when I was younger. I enjoyed them, and my dad reading Grimm's Fairy Tales was a favorite part of my day but I don't think that I ever really got them. Movies were more my thing maybe even too much my thing but there you have it. However when I was in the eighth I had to do a big joe project. This project was a huge part of me graduating and I was putting it off. And so my dad made a rule that there would be no more movies until it was done. I could however read whatever I wanted after my homework was done. And although I truly missed my movies, I even made a list that grew every day of movies I wanted to see once my punishment was lifted, I think that this is where my love of books started to grow.

I'm not a 100% sure that my memory is completely intact about this but I feel that this is where I finally started understanding books. Since then, even in my darkest days, books have been beside me in some form or another. My love for these magic creatures grew as I did. I think that I have always read above my level, I mean I was reading Shakespeare before I ever picked up a teen novel. Although those came eventually, Francesca Lia Block and Christopher Pike especially. But as I grew my appetite for them grew and all I could think about was what else could I read, what more was there that I missed? 

I want to read them all. I want to have read every book in every genre that I enjoy. I've read all of Austen's full novels, all Jodi Picoult's published novels. I've read a lot of Shakespeare, some Jack Kerouac, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, some Plath. I've read science fiction, fantasy, history, historical fiction, some biographies, poetry, plays, classics, general fiction, mystery, horror. And I feel as if I've read nothing. It seems crazy I know because for someone my age I have read more than my fair share. Yet I still feel like there are books out there that I don't know about and so many types of books that I will just never get to. 

I just got back from vacation and I'm feeling pretty tired so I think that I am going to end this here for now. Looks like this is going to be a two-parter. So more tomorrow.    

2 comments:

  1. This is a superb "confession" of a love for the wondrous and mysterious offering of literature made by the many men and women of history. I thank them, daily.
    I thank you Ms. Hat, for celebrating this dynamic art form.
    I am glad you are waving their flag high.
    A loving reader.
    DGF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DGF,

      Thank you for reading. And it is my ultimate pleasure to wave their flag as high as possible, hopefully on a daily basis.
      Keep reading dear reader,
      The Girl in the Tiny Hat

      Delete