Monday, September 9, 2013

My One True Love and Why I Love Them Part 2

I am so sorry that this wasn't posted last night. I was busy yesterday cleaning and then editing the friend's book I have been working on and I just lost track of time. As I was saying before I got too tired to continue there are just too many books in the world for me to get to all of them and I know this. However I feel as if I am letting them down by not trying. And so one book at a time I try to absorb a little bit of everything. I know that I am sorely lacking in quite a few genres or sub-genres but I am trying my best to become a truly well read person. 

I mentioned that I was on vacation, a couple friends and I went to Hilton Head, South Carolina for a week. While there I finished two books I had been in the middle of and read a third. All of which I will review here shortly. But in the meantime, one of them was a book called "Howard's End is on the Landing" by Susan Hill. It was a book that said it was supposed to be about a woman who spent a year reading only the books that were on her shelves in her home. Through out the book her love for reading came through and this reminded me of my own love and inspired me to finally write about why and what I love about books. 

Books are magical portals into other worlds and if they are put together right they can take you to places that your imagination only dreams of. They can be fun, or sad, they can anchor you or lift you up to new heights. I love the way books look all lined up on a shelf or stacked side by side on a table, just waiting for a new reader, a new friend to pick them up take them home and begin a new journey with them. 

I also truly appreciate bookstores. I am the first to admit, that I love my Nook, the books are cheaper and as a New Yorker it saves me a lot of space. But I still love bookstores with an undying passion. There is something about walking into a bookstore and seeing all the books that are out, there taking them in as a whole that can't be duplicated by 'browsing' online. As I mentioned before I was recently on vacation. While driving to Hilton Head from the Savannah airport we saw a "Barnes & Noble Center." At first, being B & N employees on vacation from said store, we were are all 'wow, we can't seem to escape it.' But as our book supply started to run out and as our bibliophile nerddom began to feel neglected we decided that it was a visit that had to be made. And so towards the end of our trip we bit the bullet and headed to the Hilton Head Island Barnes & Noble. Just walking in there made my heart beat faster, and made me get antsy and want to get back to reading. There is just so much to be read and seeing it all laid out in a bookstore makes me feel all happy and excited. Every time I walk into a bookstore I all in love with reading all over again. That is a pretty powerful thing don't you think?

I think that my love of books is pretty obvious. And I guess that it would be pretty easy to think that I am nothing but a book collector that enjoys reading occasionally. However this is not the case. Reading is what drives my love of books. I buy beautiful books but the difference between me and a collector is that I will go back and pick up that beautiful book to read again. A book can be beautiful but it doesn't serve its purpose unless it is being read. I love books, I love reading I love getting that rush of excitement when I walk into a bookstore. I love all of it. And I hope that someday I can inspire people to find that love as well, maybe not as obsessively as me because let's face it I'm a totally obsessed nerd and proud of it! 

Well I think that is all for now. I hope that you dear readers have truly enjoyed my two part post about my love of books and reading. It was a post that I knew had to be done at some point and I hope that I did my enjoyment justice enough to cause you enjoyment. 
  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A good book can create a little hermitage … anywhere."

    Walking a Literary Labyrinth by Nancy M. Malone

    ReplyDelete