Sunday, May 4, 2014

'The Value of a Woman'-by Victoria Kante

Book Title: The Value of a Woman
Author: Victoria Kante
Version: Paperback

ISBN: 9781497346956
Publication Date: March 14, 2014
Publisher: CreateSpace
Genre: Fiction

Victoria Kante has a true gift for storytelling. This was made perfectly clear in her wonderful first novel 'Loving Marcus' which I reviewed here . With her second novel Ms. Kante has brought something totally different and more visceral to the table. I had the incredible honor of editing one of the first drafts and with discussion and encouragement I feel that Ms. Kante was able to really let herself be herself. She took her storytelling talent and her love of writing and really allowed herself to write the way I always knew she could.

The novel tells the story of Amitola a young Native American woman living in Las Vegas and working as a prostitute. She walks the streets in order to make enough money to help care for her son who is currently lives with her Aunt Miriam. Told through the eyes of both Amitola, or Amy, and Miriam the story follows Amy's journey into dark places and her struggle to make a life for herself and her son. Amy finds herself in impossible situations that at times scare her and at others excite her. She is pushed and challenged, beat down and brought back up and ultimately discovers that in order to find true happiness she must first look within. The novel has all the parts that one looks for in a great read. A good story, it's well written and has incredible characters.

Victoria Kante has a talent, a truly beautiful talent, for taking dark subject matter and turning it into beautifully poetic stories. With 'The Value of a Woman' Ms. Kante has done it once again. It may begin as a story about a prostitute but it turns into a journey of self discovery. From the draft I helped edit to the final product so much changed that it was almost like reading a new book. And it was a beautiful change because she allowed herself to run free with her imagery and her descriptions. I loved seeing the transformation and I look forward to seeing what she will allow herself to do with the next book. I have true faith that Ms. Kante is only going to better with each new book and I look forward to seeing her talent grow.

All in all the book was a good read and full of some wonderful messages. There are parts that took me back and made me tear up but for every tear shed there was a smile that took its place. I really enjoyed following Amy's journey from the streets, to her tribe's reservation, to a whole new life for her and her son. It was a journey that had it's moments steeped in darkness but also had moments of breath-taking beauty.

I saw from the first pages of 'Loving Marcus' that Ms. Kante was a great storyteller, and I knew that she had it in her to be an equally great writer. With 'The Value of a Woman' I saw her writing talent really begin to come forth. By allowing herself to write for herself Ms. Kante has finally started tapping into her true talents. It's a beautiful thing to witness and something that no one should miss out on. This is a great book that I highly recommend to all my readers. Don't miss out on this wonderful read, and not just because I say so, but because it's a beautiful story, a well written novel and full of characters that touch the heart and soul. 'The Value of a Woman' by Victoria Kante is a journey well worth taking.

1 comment:

  1. So excited to read this book! It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete