Thursday, November 11, 2010

Excuse Me While I Gush

Ok so I have to do at least one post here about the greatness that was Patrick Swayze. I had a school girl crush on him ever since the first time I watched "Dirty Dancing." That movie was every little girl's dream. Mine especially. I fell madly in love with a hunky, sweet, guy who danced like a dream. I was always into dancing. (Note: don't worry mom and dad not the 'dirty dancing' aspect of the dancing. Well not when I was little anyway. ;D)  And any guy who could dance the way Patrick Swayze could dance immediatley got my undying love and admiration, regardless if he was real or not.

Anyway the point is Patrick was my new imaginary love. And so in that vein I started watching whatever was age appropriate for me to watch that involved him. I saw "Ghost," "Tall Tale," "Fatherhood," "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar." To name a few. And after "Dirty Dancing" "To Wong Foo..." became my second favorite. When I got older I started watching other flix of his. Such as "Point Break" and "Road House." "Ghost" again but this time I understood it more. And as I got older I got to pretend that I was Demi Moore in the very famous clay scene in that movie.

I was watching all that I could with him in it. Mainly ones that were kind of in the area that I enjoy the most. So I missed a lot of his heavy action films. But I was always faithful to the others. Especially "Dirty Dancing" and "To Wong Foo..." "To Wong Foo..." was one of my mom's favorite movies as well so that was something we watched over and over together. But "Dirty Dancing" was something that was special to me and my own obsession. Sure my friends and I watched it at every sleep over we had. But I also watched it on the day after the sleep over and by myself on various days. My birthday, holidays, any day that ended in day. So basically I watched it a lot. I recreated the final lift that Baby and Johnny did so many times that my dad had to ban it from our home and every other home that we were ever in ever. Luckily I started getting bigger and gaining weight so I knew practically that I could no longer do it but I still had some amazing dreams.

I felt that Patrick was one of the greatest actors known to the world of acting and that Jennifer Grey was perhaps the luckiest acting girl in all of acting land. I worshipped. Of course as I got older I recognized how silly I was to have hoped for all the things I had hoped for when it came to Patrick. But "Dirty Dancing" still remained my favorite dance movie, and it was still a fantasy that I would one day meet my very own Johnny.

Based on this post I would assume that you could figure out that I kind of like this Patrick guy. And unless you have been living under a rock, which you should probably fix, you have heard that he passed away. I was crushed when I heard. I no longer had that same level of creepy obession nor did I hold on to my school girl crush but it still hurt. I guess it does when the world loses someone that everyone "knows." I spent that day, the day I heard he died, watching my favorite Patrick movie. And I remembered what is was like to see it for the first time. 

Anyway to Patrick who has left this earth I would like to say thank you. You made my childhood a dream and you started my love for all dance related '80's movies.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful actor - loved him in Ghost!. It was too much to see him in "Too Wong Foo...Julie Newmar", and Dirty Dancing. But, he was wonderful in his early movies -"Red Dawn" and "The Outsiders" - check it out.

    ReplyDelete