Sunday, November 14, 2010

How To Train Your Dragon (a movie) and How I Paid For College (a book)

I was just going to give my review on the movie "How To Train Your Dragon," and leave it at that. However I just finished reading one of the most hilarious and best books I've read in a very long time and so I have to talk about that too. First the movie and then the book.

I went into watching "How To Train Your Dragon" full of skepticism and distrust. I had been hearing from many people since it was first out in theatres that it was a great movie. That it was super cute and really well done. And naturally due to all the praise I was ready to not like it. Wow was I wrong. I loved it. I really, really loved it. It was funny and cute and sweet and the dragon was super cute! The story was about the odd viking out in a dragon hunting viking tribe. His name is Hiccup. And is father is the leader of the pack and this great dragon hunter and he isn't. He wants to be but he also wants to change the way that dragon hunting is done. So he invents a new toy and catches himself a dragon. And then Hiccup discovers that he is unable to actually kill the dragon. Due to this they form an unlikely bond. The dragon is named Toothless.

Toothless is the cutest dragon I have ever seen. He looks like a cat but acts like a dog. He has this long sleek black body and bumps his head into Hiccup just like a cat, he even purrs like one. He likes to wag his tail and play fetch and do all those cute puppy like things. The more they learn about each other the more their bond grows. It is a very sweet story about friendship, growing up and changing the way people see what's in front of them. It's one of the best movies that has come out this year. I watched it all the way through and then almost watched it all over again. I watch it all the time at work, another cool advantage of working at a video store.

For a cartoon it was very well written and all the voice actors were great. It was full of fun and tenderness. It was funny and sweet. Touching and hardcore all at the same time. I totally recommend it for everyone! I think that it is a great movie for family nights, date nights, sleepovers, and everything in between. If you haven't seen it yet go out and rent it! It's worth it!

Now on to "How I Paid For College." "How I Paid For College," is a satirical novel written by Marc Acito. It takes place in New Jersey in 1983. It's about a group of friends, Edward, Paula, Doug, Kelly, Ziba, and Natie. They have dubbed themselves "Play People" meaning that they are actors and very into their craft. They spend the summer before Edward's senior year drinking, driving recklessly, doing drugs (on federal property), unlocking and entering, and committing embezzlement, fraud, forgery, blackmail and grand theft Buddha. The story goes through their summer vacation and senior year. It is told through the eyes of Edward Zanni a fantastic, well dressed, slightly flamboyant, bisexual who finds himself going through some changes.

Problems arise, situations present themselves and great humor is to be had. I don't know if I have ever read anything that is at the same time so full of great theatre trivia and oh so funny! I laughed aloud the whole book. Some of the content is a little on the more mature side and so this book isn't for the young, the faint of heart or those just generally opposed to the theatre. Other then that I reccommend it to just about anyone. It's a truly well written, funny, and all around fun book. So go forth and read!

No comments:

Post a Comment