Friday, November 12, 2010

Grownups & Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

It has been brought to my attention, by myself, that I haven't yet actually reviewed a whole lot. I said that I wanted to review books and movies and I talked a little bit about a couple of books I read and gushed about Patrick Swayze. And so in an effort to fix that error I am here to review a couple of the new movies from this week.

Working at a video store has it's advantages. One such advantage is being able to take home new movies before they go into public circulation. Basically we get them for free. So last weekend I took home Grownups and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Grownups is a Happy Madison production starring Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, David Spade, Kevin James, and Rob Schneider. It is about these five best friends and their families getting together for the funeral of their childhood basketball coach. They spend the weekend together and have lots of laughs and some very tender, honest moments. The thing I liked most about it is that it isn't your typical Adam Sandler comedy. There are some of those "hahaha that is funny because it is the obvious joke." A lot of the funny moments were more subtle and "grown-up" (no pun inteded.) I didn't think that it was the greatest movie ever made, nor was it the funniest movie. It was good though. And it is a good funny movie. It's good for a few laughs and it has it's tender moments. I think that overall I would give it a 7 out of 10. And watching all of these comedians working together makes the movie worth the watch!

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World stars Michael Cera. It is the story of this guy named Scott Pilgrim who has just gotten dumped by his beautiful and talented girlfriend. He is now dating a high school girl, who is a five years his junior, and focusing on taking his own band to the next level. Then he meets Ramona Flowers and he instantly falls in love. The only problem is that Ramona has seven evil exes that he must beat in combat in order to be with her. The whole film is like one big video game being played by someone else. It's a mix of great comic doings and gapping holes of "what is happening?" This movie is great for die hard fans of Michael Cera or people who really and truly love all things video games. It's a fun movie in the respect that it's a different kind of movie. There aren't all that many movies that make you think of someone playing a video game just for your benefit. 

Anyway those are my reviews for those two movies. Both of them are good. Nothing spectacular or amazing but good. It's been a long time since I've seen anything that is really amazing. That right is reserved for How to Train Your Dragon. Now that was a great movie! And I shall actually review that in my next post!

1 comment:

  1. I saw part of Grown-Ups - and I agree it was to formulaic. It had its moments, but, did not rock my boat. I did not see how I trained my Dragon, but, I am not looking forward to giving it a spin. Thanks

    ReplyDelete