Monday, January 31, 2011

And The Nominees Are...

'Tis the season for award giving in the movie industry. Many award shows occur with grand clothes, red carpets,and many rounds of applause. One of the most noted and watched is of course the Academy Awards. Where in return for the winning of many votes, and doing pretty great performances the winners get heavy golden statues of naked men and a paper with their name on it. It is an evening to be remembered. And cherished in the eyes of the beholders. It is probably one of my favorite times of year.

At the video store where I currently work we do an Academy Award contest every year. We print up thousands of ballots with the nominees for best picture, best actor, best actress, and best supporting actor and actress. The customers win free rentals for guessing right. One free rental for three right answers, three for four right answers and ten for getting all five right. The employees on the other hand get cash money. It is a glorious time at the store. Except for all of the tallying of ballots at the end. That part isn't so much with the fun. But other then that.

Anyway the nominees this year for best picture are "Black Swan," "The Fighter," "Inception," "The Kids Are All Right," "The King's SPeech," "127 Hours," "The Social Network," "Toy Story 3," "True Grit," and "Winter's Bone." I have so far seen 5 of the ten mentioned and will soon being watching number 6. I am planning on seeing on all ten. I know that I have reviewed most of the ones that I have seen so forgive the repeats. But I want to just give each of the ones I've seen a quick report.

With "Inception," and "The Kids Are All Right," I was less then thrilled. I liked "Inception" well enough. Good movie making, acting was great, level upon level of 'huh?' going on. But I wasn't like "OH MY GOD BEST MOVIE EVER!!!" Like so many others seemed to be. I think that the visual effects were pretty fantastico though and I do hope that it gets recognition for that. Not best picture of the year in my mind though. "The Kids Are All Right" I just didn't like. The script was poor and the story was unbelieveable. The acting was pretty good but there was nothing else to it. It was kind of a boring story even. I don't understand why it made the list but there it is all listed. See if only I was on the decision making committee of the Academy.

Then there was "Toy Story 3," and "The Social Network." Both good. "Toy Story 3" was adorable and of course lots of fun because it's "Toy Story." In fact I cried a little at the end and I just liked it. But again I wasn't blown away by it. Loved it as a cartoon but again not a best picture type. "The Social Network," was good. Well made, interesting, well acted, but nothing that made me stop in my tracks and say "whoa there!" But maybe it was. Maybe I'm too picky or some might say snobbish about my movies. I don't know.

Yesterday though I watched "Black Swan." That movie SHOULD be on the list of best picture nominees. I was just blown away by it. It was beautifully made, extraorinarily acted, the script was fantastic, and the visuals were off the charts. It was dark and intense and creepy and it really sticks with you but that is part of the brilliance. Starring Natalie Portman, who is up for best actress, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel and directed by Darren Aronofsky. The story is about a ballerina who after years in the ballet chorus finally lands the part as the Swan Queen in Swan Lake. Already having the perfect personality for the White Swan she struggles with finding the darkness in her for the Black Swan. Once she finds it though she loses control of it and eventually she begins to lose her mind. 

The whole film in and of itself is like a modern version of Swan Lake, Natalie Portman's character as the natural White Swan and Mila Kunis as her opposite twin the Black Swan. The trick is discovering where the reality ends the crazy begins. Apparently Natalie Portman had to lose 20 pounds and train 5 hours a day 6 days a week for the role. And it was worth every little bit of training that she put in. I can't in good conscience give anything more away but I will say that this is one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. Everything fit. It's dark and hard to watch, but beautiful and worth the discomfort. It is one of those movies that will not sit well with everyone. The darkness and the pain that permeates it sticks with you and it can be hard to take. If you can handle it I say go for it. 

I appreciate that it is on the best picture list but I don't think that "Black Swan" will win. I think that it is too dark, too out there for that but it's a best picture in my book.

I still have to see "The King's Speech," I am highly anticipating that one. I hear naught but good things. And then there is "Winter's Bone," which I have waiting for me, and "127 Hours" which I think might be a hard one for me because as far as I can tell it takes place mostly in a small crevice and I'm not good with the small cramped places. And then there is "The Fighter," and "True Grit." I hear good about both of those as well. Although I also heard two negatives about "The Fighter" but I will still see it. It is on the list after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment