Thursday, February 24, 2011

Finding A Voice

Ok I have to preface this by saying that I am now only one movie away from seeing all ten best picture nominee movies and thus completing my Best Picture nominee list project. =D I don't even know how excited I am. I am actually going to finish something that I start. Yay me!!

I had made tentative plans to go and see "King's Speech" with a couple of different friends. None of them were able to do it and so I decided to go alone. Not a big deal because I have done this before but it would be at night so I was a little nervous. But I went. And not only was I there by myself but I was there alone. The theatre was empty. It was an interesting experience. I think that being in a big movie theatre all alone for a movie buff is like being in a big church all alone for a devout person. It was intense.

On to the movie. Directed by Tom Hooper, written by David Seidler and starring Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter this movie was a surprise. I knew from previews what it was about and I had heard that it was really very good. A fact that I also ascertained from reading that it won tons and tons of awards. But it was still a surprise to see it in it's entirety. It was almost like a two hour long conversation that I was privy to. Colin Firth plays the Duke of York, a public figure that unfortunately has to give quite a few speeches and has a stammer. He sees doctor after doctor, the best speech therapists around but nothing works. And finally he tells his wife, played by Helena Bonham Carter, that he doesn't want anymore doctors. But being a good wife she seeks out one more man, a man who comes highly recommended, played by Geoffrey Rush. The Duchess goes to Lionel Logue hoping for help and what she gets is a miracle.

Between the Duke and Lionel there is at first tension, mistrust, anger on the side of the Duke. But slowly a friendship forms and by the time the Duke's brother abjures the throne and King George the VI is crowned king theirs is a bond that refuses to be broken. Unfortunately King George the VI takes the throne on the eve of World War II but by overcoming his pain and fear he shows a nation the courage to stand against Hitler. He finds his own voice which helps his country find theirs.

What happens between the two men is something that is rare and beautiful. It is the forming of a friendship that is fun to watch. As mentioned before it is like one long conversation. Not a lot happens. But so much is SAID and that is what is important. I loved watching the movie. The cinematography was so well done, some of the shots bordered on art. And the acting was out of this world. Colin Firth was amazing and deserves his oscar nod, if not the oscar itself. Geoffrey Rush was in a whole different plane. I hope that he does win! His character was so simple but it was the simplicity that made this man great! And Helena Bonham Carter was surperb. She didn't have that big of a roll. She was a supporting role for sure but what a job she did! I was blown away by her. All the little things that she did from the way that she moved her hands to the way she would tilt her head spoke royalty. It was brilliant.

This movie was fantastic. I loved it. I reccommend it to everyone! It's a true experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment