Saturday, February 5, 2011

Putting Myself Between a Rock & a Hard Place

The other night I had the unique pleasure of going to see "127 Hours." Starring James Franco, written by Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy and directed by Danny Boyle it is an unusual film experience. I wasn't sure about it at first but since it is part of the nominee list I knew that I would have to see it. On Thursday night I went to dinner with a friend and then we decided that we wanted to go see a movie. I voted for "King's Speech" but my friend wasn't feeling it.

And so we went to go see the story of Aron Rolston. I don't know what to say about the film. It was strange and beautiful and intense in many ways. James Franco did an incredible job. He really embodied the spirit of being trapped and alone and with only his memories and, eventually, his delusions. There is one point, toward the beginning where he finds himself starting to give up, already and very quietly he says "don't lose it. Aron don't you lose it." And just that gives him a chance to make it. 

Every day some new challenge presents itself, the most pressing of course is the loss of water. But even under the worst of circumstances Aron kept choosing to survive. Day after day with no one to talk to except for himself and his video camera, he finds different ways to do just that. That is the most beautiful part of the movie in my opinion. His will to do what he has to, to survive. Yes it's a tough movie to watch and watching him struggle is very hard but for me it wasn't a movie about a guy stuck in a canyon. It was a movie about surviving under the most brutal conditions and in the worst situation. 

I liked the movie. It was good and as stated above James Franco was magic in the role. I can see why it is up for best picture, it's based on a true story and no matter what people think doing a one man show, just about, on film can be as intricate and difficult as putting together a film like "Inception" or "Black Swan." I wasn't blown away by it. I knew what was coming. I knew that in the end he found help and yes this included finding the courage to cut his arm off, which is not something that is for the faint of heart. Nothing was a big surprise or made me think it wasn't going to work out. I knew that he was going to make it no matter what was thrown at him. So I wasn't thrown by it. But it was beautiful in a disturbing way. Maybe beautiful is the wrong word because it was raw and harsh and all angles. 

The point is that it was a good movie. I didn't love it nor was I as moved by it as my friend was but it was a good movie. I now only have three movies on the best picture list to see. I think that I will get to see "The Fighter" this Sunday and then I think I will have to see "True Grit" and "King's Speech" alone. But that is ok. At least I will get to see them. I will keep you all updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment